Community Engagement for Pepperland
Mark Morris Dance Group deepens audience engagement with its iconic Beatles tribute across five cities.
Mark Morris Dance Group’s (MMDG) unique evening-length tribute to the 50th anniversary of The Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, Pepperland, features an original score by Ethan Iverson that blends arrangements of songs from the groundbreaking album with Pepper-inspired pieces. MMDG is currently in dialogue with its presenters to develop tailored engagement programs in each tour city, including the following activities:
- 2 pre- and post- show talks with Ethan Iverson, Mark Morris, company dancers or musicians discussing the creation of the work and the music elements involved;
- 3 Master Classes for dance students at schools and universities led by company members and accompanying musicians;
- 1 theremin demonstration with Rob Schwimmer;
- 2 Dance with MMDG workshops for people of all ages and abilities led by company members with accompanying musicians;
- 2 Dance for PD (Parkinson’s Disease) classes incorporating Pepperland music and choreography led by Program Director David Leventhal;
- 1 dance accompaniment workshop for musicians, focused on music for dance.
University of Houston, Moores Opera House & Online
San Antonio Botanical Garden
DiMenna Center for Classical Music in Cary Hall (450 West 37th Street, NYC 10018)